Wednesday 30 September 2015

For Shawn on his 42nd birthday



Happy birthday my darling,

I missed your 25th by a couple months, but in person or, less often, in spirit, I've been with you for all the birthdays since.

I like birthdays more than you. You balance it out by thinking my obsession with birthdays is funny.

I maintain birthdays are the best day of the year. Especially yours, because you were born; and you and me became we.

For 16 of your birthdays now, you and me have been we.

Us.

A package deal.

It doesn't seem nearly so long a time 'til I look back at the stretch of life already lived. The road behind and the road ahead are of similar distances now. The road behind improved dramatically when you arrived.

The road we've travelled has some rocks and bumps, deaths and debts, school and career changes, sickness and surgery, recoveries and renovations. Thank you for being there through it all. I can imagine what that road would have been like alone. To that end, thank you a hundred times over.

And thank you for the best times, the exciting times, the good times, the every day times, and the lazy in pyjamas times. All the joys in this world are made better because I witness them with you. They are the brightest of lights that illuminate the road ahead.

You are my partner in life, my companion in all adventures. You are my heart and my soul, and as brief absence so clearly demonstrates, you are, unequivocally, my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment